Sunday, January 1, 2012

Emergency Room 2012

Happy New Year from our Family to your


New Year's Eve did not start as we had planned it, Nathan was showing signs of being really sick.  But stood his ground that he was fine.  Brian decides to go play in the desert, and when he returned home, his face said it all.  He had the crud, runny nose, sneezing, congested.  My dad wasn't doing well either.  WHAT Happened?

I attempted to take Nathan to urgent care, his cough was concerning.  On going, non stop 24/7.  Impossibly to bear with and I was not the one coughing.  I asked him if his body hurt, he said no only his chest (yikes).

Urgent care was closed.  Nathan said he wanted to go to dinner.  So the family made it to dinner.  

That evening, Nathan continued his coughing, now I was beginning to stress.  The Cough syrup was not doing anything, I could not break his fever.  The last time this went on, was when Nathan was two years old.  He continued to cough just like he was doing now and had a really high fever.  That time my little guy had a pneumonia.

I couldn't take it no more, we returned to urgent care this morning, CLOSED..... Ahhhh.

I looked at Nathan and said, "Sorry Nate looks like we will have to go to the hospital."  I could see panic coming over him.  Nathan has not been to hospital since he was born.  But he understands sick people do go to the hospital.

I tried to calm him down and told him everything would be Ok.  I needed a doctor to check his chest.

We walked into the ER, amazingly I didn't see anyone there.  I thought for sure I was going to run into all the goofballs that were accident prone from the night before.  Nope.

I checked Nathan in.  Forget me checking him in, Nathan apparently could do it on his own.  "My name is Nathan, I am coughing a lot and I don't want any shots and I don't want to stay in the hospital." 

"Ok buddy, can you look at these pictures and tell me at what level is your pain,  your not crying but your not happy either."  Nathan choose the sad one, pain level of six.

Nathan got a bed within five minutes,   His nurse was kind enough to let him use his I phone so he could play "Angry Bird" while we waiting for the doctor.  The nurse kept looking at Nathan with a shock kind of look, turns to my dad and said,   "He speaks very well, as if he were an adult"

Yes that would be Nathan.  The doctor came, Nathan explained to the doctor why we were at the hospital.  Just to be cautious the doctor recommended Nathan get an x-ray.

X-ray showed he did have the beginning stages of a pneumonia.  I knew it, I recognized that cough and those symptoms.  Nathan could be very stubborn. Even when he feels sick he handles himself very well.  Sometimes making it impossible to diagnosed it's more than a runny nose.

We got our prescription and left.


I really hope 2012 gets better.  Emergency room 2012 didn't help start it off the way we wished.

I hope you get better Nathan....


Along with everyone else in the family..

No comments:

Post a Comment