Wednesday, February 8, 2012

War Heroes, Airplanes, etc

Well hello everyone,  It has been a while since I have shared Nathan's comments with you.

Well we have been extremely busy, between helping Nathan's grandparents, working and potty training Nathan's little sister.

But that is not to say Nathan hasn't had a lot to say.  You know when children first start talking they ask a lot of simple questions, followed by why.  Why is the sky Blue?  Why this? Why That?

Now the questions are getting a little harder to address, or I just can't explain things to him in a manner appropriate for a four year old.  Meaning I hate to shelter Nathan and lead him to believe he lives in a perfect world but also there is still an innocence within him that you would like to maintain as long as possible.

For example,  As we drove one evening down the street, Nathan asked me what the signs on the poles where. I thought he was referring to the street sign with the name of the street.  Nathan was actually asking about the signs that most cites hang up, honoring the troops from different military branches.

I told him they were signs with soldiers names, who were protecting our country.  Well that stir the pot, What are Soldiers and what do they do?

I thought to myself, they were like police officers who protect us, only soldiers were protecting our country.

Well how does a soldier protect our country?  Well Nathan they fight the war.  What is war?  

That put the brakes on, What is war and how do I explain it to Nathan.

I quickly got out of that conversation, I wasn't ready to break down the politics, points of view pros and cons about war with a Four year old.  I thought and actually told Nathan I thought it would be better if I showed him what soldiers do and how they do it.  As innocently as my boy is, he replied, "Ok Mommy." 


Fast forward, a week or so.  Once again as we were driving Nathan curiously and very concerned asked his dad,  "Do airplanes have band aids?"  Dad replied yes, "Probably in the plane's first aid kit,"  Nathan concerned asked, "Well is that in the front of the plane or the back."  Daddy annoyed replies, "Well Nathan I haven't worked on a plane I don't know."  Nathan as sassy as can be, "Well I have but I don't know where the band aids are."


Really Nathan, why isn't that neither of your parents knew you have worked on an airplane?

No comments:

Post a Comment