Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mothers and Sons

You know for the last four years I have been trying to discover the relationships between mothers and their sons.  I have seen great ones and not so good ones.

I try my best to teach Nathan, right from wrong, good from bad, nice from  mean.  This is an ongoing lesson.  Sometimes I feel defeated, challenged, and beat.  Other times I think break through.  For the most part, I think I say it enough that one day when I am not with him, Nathan will make the right decision and become a Fine Young man, which is what every mother wishes for their boy.

Today we ventured to tackle some baseball practice and hone in some actual skill development.  We practice running bases, which he did, practice our catching.  I can tell his attention span was very limited,  and instead of his mom I was trying to be a coach along with his dad.  If you have ever met Brian or I, you should know we are the most impatient people and together we are worse.  Poor Nathan, but none the less he did good.

Lil K on the other hand will be wayyyy ready.

Nathan was very testy all day.  Even after an hour practice, we figured he would tire out and take a nap. NOPE!!!

I was so tired from running bases, I crashed, Lil K crashed but not Nathan.  The chaos was on.  So Nathan refused to take his nap.

Since Nathan didn't want to play by the rules, he did not get to carve his Halloween pumpkin. He seem to understand that he didn't get what he wanted, but it still didn't stop him.

Now fast forward to the evening, after coming home from some errands, I sat down in the office to work on the computer.  Nathan thinks it's funny to stick his fire truck ladder inside the printer. REALLY???

Nathan, how many times has mommy told you not to touch things, that aren't your.  Apparently, I can turn blue in the face and he will still try to get to things that he is not suppose to.  A little upset at his behavior I sent him to his room for the night.

Brian tucks him in, and asks me to go inside his room and say good night.  I did.

About five minutes later, Nathan comes out of his room, and walks into mine.  He asks me to kiss him good night and if I could sing him a song.  I was so upset at his bratty behavior through out the day.  I responded, "when you listen to my words I'll sing you a song, not tonight maybe tomorrow."  Nathan was so upset he walked away crying.

After a few minutes, I returned to Nathan's room.  We had a little talk, in which I tried to explained to him, that he needs to use nicer words towards mommy and he shouldn't talk back.  As I am talking to him, he interrupts me and says, "wait mommy wait one minute."  He had to stop me from talking because he had to put some toys away.  AHHHH.  Here I am trying to have a heart to heart with my four year old son.  Obviously not that important to him.

Nathan did get his song and he felt much better.  Relationships are always hard, but loving relationships between mothers and sons are complex. There is a fine line between nurturing and disciplining.

1 comment: